Friday, December 8, 2006


Generally any Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent (EA) would be able to prepare most tax returns. There are also many qualified, unlicensed tax preparers.

Also, you may be able to prepare it yourself, but do not attempt it unless it is either a fairly routine tax return (which many are) OR you are willing to devote considerable time to putting everything in the right place and for the right amount. You have to know what is taxable and what is deductible. Also, you probably need to buy some kind of Tax Preparation Software.

My tax software costs over $1,000, so you probably would want something less expensive.
I have tried the TaxAct Professional program which was very good and I would probably use it if it had more than just the form 1040 program. It costs around $100. They have a less expensive program for nonprofessional use.

If you have a partnership, corporation, LLC or Fiduciary Return, then you probably should have a professional do those returns as well as your own. I do have one client who does his own Form 1040 and has me do his corporate returns.